- They are insects with a scientific name - Apis mellifera.
- They have six legs, two eyes, and two wings, a nectar pouch, and a stomach.
- The honeybee's wings stroke 11,400 times per minute, which makes their distinctive buzz.
- Honey bees are almost the only bees with hairy compound eyes.
- A honey bee visits 50 to 100 flowers during a collection trip.
- Honeybees communicate with one another by "dancing" so as to give the direction and distance of flowers. This is called a 'WAGGLE DANCE'.
- Bees have a very sophisticated and democractic society.
- The average honey bee will make only one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in its lifetime.
- A honey bee can fly for up to six miles and as fast as 15 miles per hour! It would have to fly around 90,000 miles (three times around the globe) to make one pound of honey.
- Honey bees must consume about 17-20 pounds of honey to be able to produce one pound of beeswax.
The pleasures of Beekeeping
Our friends in England in their Apiary, checking to see if the bees are happy and productive in their hive.